Kathy E. Kram
Richard C. Shipley Professor in Management
Professor of Organizational Behavior
Questrom School of Business
Related Research Interests
Kathy E. Kram is the R.C. Shipley Professor in Management, Emerita, at Boston University. Her primary interests are in the areas of adult development, relational learning, mentoring and developmental networks, leadership development, and change processes in organizations.
In addition to her book, Mentoring at Work, she has published in a wide range of journals including Organizational Dynamics, Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Harvard Business Review, Business Horizons, Qualitative Sociology, Mentoring International, Journal of Management Development, Journal of Management Education, Journal of Management Inquiry, Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, Career Development International, and Psychology of Women Quarterly. She is co-editor of The Handbook of Mentoring at Work: Theory, Research and Practice with Dr. Belle Rose Ragins.
She is a founding member of the Center for Research on Emotional Intelligence in Organizations (CREIO). During 2000-2001, she served as a visiting scholar at the Center for Creative Leadership (CCL) when she completed a study of executive coaching and its role in developing emotional competence in leaders. She served as a member of the Center’s Board of Governors from 2002-2009.
Her new book Strategic Relationships at Work: Creating your Circle of mentors, sponsors and peers for success in business and life was co-authored with Prof. Wendy Murphy (Babson College). Dr. Kram is currently collaborating on two new projects: a book on peer coaching, and a study of the transition into retirement. She and her husband, Peter Yeager, enjoy hiking, traveling, and listening to their musician son, Jason, perform in a variety of venues.
- EXTRAORDINARY LEADERSHIP: ADDRESSING THE GAPS IN SENIOR EXECUTIVE DEVELOPMENT, Co-edited with Dr. Kerry Bunker and Dr. Douglas T. Hall, San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers, f, 2010.
- HANDBOOK OF MENTORING AT WORK: THEORY, RESEARCH, AND
PRACTICE, co editor with Prof. Belle Rose Ragins, San Francisco, CA: Sage
- Chandler, D. A., Kram, K.E., & Yip, J. :An Ecological Systems Perspective on Mentoring at Work: A Review and Future Prospects.” In The Academy of Management Annals, 5:1, pp 519-570.
- Chandler, D.A. and Kram, K.E. “ A Self-Directed Approach to Developmental Networks and Leadership Development”, In Rothstein, M. and Burke, R. (eds.) Self-Management and Leadership Development, Edgar Elgar Publishing, 2010 , pp.336-360.
- Murphy, W.M. & Kram, K.E. “Understanding Non-work Relationships in Developmental Networks” Career Development International,15(7), pp. 637-663.
- Dobrow, S., Chandler, D.A., Murphy, W.M., & Kram, K.E. “ A Review of Developmental Networks: A Mutuality Perspective”, Journal of Management, Sage Online, October, 2011.