Dejun “Tony” Kong
University of Colorado Boulder
Related Research Interests
In my dissertation I focus on employee’s experience of tensions and how that affects their well-being and workplace behavior. In particular, I investigate the role of paradox leader behavior in fostering positive employee outcomes.
- Kong, D. T., & Forsyth, D. R. (2016) (Eds.). Leading through conflict: Into the fray. Palgrave Macmillan. http://www.palgrave.com/page/detail/leading-through-conflict-dejun-tony-kong/?isb=9781137566768
- Barnes, C. Guarana, C., Nauman, S., & Kong, D. T. (2016). Too tired to inspire or be inspired: Sleep deprivation and charismatic leadership. Journal of Applied Psychology, in press.
- Kong, D. T. (2016). Exploring democracy and ethnic diversity as sociopolitical moderators for the relationship between age and generalized trust. Personality and Individual Differences, 96, 28-30. doi: 10.1016/j.paid.2016.02.073
- Kong, D. T., Bottom, W. P., & Konczak, L. J. (2016). Negotiators’ emotion perception and value-claiming under different incentives. International Journal of Conflict Management, 27, 146-171. doi: 10.1108/IJCMA-08-2015-0056 (lead article of the issue)
- Campagna, R. T., Mislin, A. A., Kong, D. T., & Bottom, W. P. (2016). Strategic consequences of emotional misrepresentation in negotiation: The blowback effect. Journal of Applied Psychology, 101, 605-624. doi: 10.1037/apl0000072 (lead article)
- Kong, D. T. (2016). A gene-dependent climatoeconomic model of generalized trust. Journal of World Business, 51, 226-236. doi: 10.1016/j.jwb.2015.08.018
- Kong, D. T. (2016). The pathway to unethical pro-organizational behavior: Organizational identification as a joint function of work passion and trait mindfulness. Personality and Individual Differences, 93, 86-91. doi: 10.1016/j.paid.2015.08.035 (special issue on individual differences in mindfulness)
- Kong, D. T. (2016). Ostracism perception as a multiplicative function of trait self-esteem, mindfulness, and facial emotion recognition ability. Personality and Individual Differences, 93, 68-73. doi: 10.1016/j.paid.2015.08.046 (special issue on individual differences in mindfulness)
- Kong, D. T. (2016). Ethnic minorities’ paranoia and self-preservative work behaviors in response to perceived ethnic discrimination, with collective self-esteem as a buffer. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, in press.
- Kong, D. T.*, & Ho, V. T.* (2016). A self-determination perspective of strengths use at work: Examining its determinant and performance implications. Journal of Positive Psychology, 11, 15-25. doi: 10.1080/17439760.2015.1004555 (* equal authorship)
- Ho, V. T.*, & Kong, D. T.* (2015). Exploring the signaling function of idiosyncratic deals and their interaction. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 131, 149-161. doi: 10.1016/j.obhdp.2015.08.002 (* equal authorship)
- Kong, D. T. (2015). A gene-environment interaction model of social trust: The 5-HTTLPR S-allele prevalence as a moderator for the democracy-trust linkage. Personality and Individual Differences, 87, 278-281. doi: 10.1016/j.paid.2015.08.028
- Kong, D. T. (2015). Narcissists’ negative perception of their counterpart’s competence and benevolence and their own reduced trust in a negotiation context. Personality and Individual Differences, 74, 196-201. doi: 10.1016/j.paid.2014.10.015
- Kong, D. T., Konczak, L., & Bottom, W. P. (2015). Team performance as a joint function of team member satisfaction and agreeableness. Small Group Research, 46, 160-178. doi: 10.1177/1046496414567684
- Kong, D. T. (2014). Mayer-Salovey-Caruso Emotional Intelligence Test (MSCEIT/MEIS) and overall, verbal, and nonverbal intelligence: Meta-analytic evidence and critical contingencies. Personality and Individual Differences, 66, 171-175. doi: 10.1016/j.paid.2014.03.028
- Kong, D. T. (2014). An economic-genetic theory of corporate corruption across cultures: An interactive effect of wealth and 5HTTLPR-SS/SL frequency on corporate corruption mediated by cultural endorsement of self-protective leadership. Personality and Individual Differences, 63, 106-111. doi: 10.1016/j.paid.2014.01.061
- Kong, D. T., Dirks, K. T., & Ferrin, D. L. (2014). Interpersonal trust within negotiations: Meta-analytic evidence, critical contingencies, and directions for future research. Academy of Management Journal, 57, 1235-1255. doi: 10.5465/amj.2012.0461 (lead article)
- Kong, D. T. (2013). Leader election outcomes as contextual moderators explaining the different frequencies of action-oriented terms and negation terms used in inaugural speeches of effective versus ineffective leaders and charismatic versus non-charismatic leaders: Evidence from 30 U.S. presidents. Personality and Individual Differences, 55, 760-765. doi: 10.1016/j.paid.2013.06.005
- Kong, D. T. (2013). Examining a climatoeconomic contextualization of generalized social trust mediated by uncertainty avoidance. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 44, 574-588. doi: 10.1177/0022022112466700
- Kong, D. T. (2013). Intercultural experience as an impediment of trust: Examining the impact of intercultural experience and social trust culture on institutional trust in government. Social Indicators Research, 113, 847-858. doi: 10.1007/s11205-012-0117-6
- Kong, D. T., & Drew, S. (2016). Meta-analyzing the differential effects of emotions on disengagement from unethical behavior: An asymmetric self-regulation model. In D. T. Kong & D. R. Forsyth (Eds.), Leading through Conflict: Into the Fray. Palgrave/McMillian.
- Kong, D. T. (2015). Mindfulness in interpersonal negotiations: Delineating the concept of mindfulness and proposing a mindful, relational self-regulation (MRSR) model. In J. Reb & P. W. Atkins (Eds.), Mindfulness in organizations (Chapter 12). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Bottom, W. P., Kong, D. T., & Mislin, A. (2014). Judgment bias and decision making in negotiation. In M. Benoliel (Ed.), Negotiation excellence: Successful deal making (2nd ed.) (Chapter 11). Hackensack, NJ: World Scientific Publishing.
- Ferrin, D. L., Kong, D. T., & Dirks, K. T. (2014). Trust building, diagnosis, and repair in the context of negotiation. In M. Benoliel (Ed.), Negotiation excellence: Successful deal making (2nd ed.) (Chapter 6). Hackensack, NJ: World Scientific Publishing.
- Kong, D. T. (2013). Followers’ judgment of leader integrity as situated social cognition. In J. B. Ciulla, M. Uhl-Bien, & P. Werhane (Eds.), Volume III. Leadership ethics: Contexts and narratives (Chapter 58). New York, NY: Sage.