Jane E. Dutton
Robert L. Kahn Distinguished University Emerita Professor of Business Administration and Psychology
Co-founder, Center for Positive Organizations
Stephen M. Ross School of Business
University of Michigan
Related Research Interests
Jane Dutton’s research on Positive Organizational Scholarship began with an interest in compassion and the difference it makes for individuals and organizations (see www.compassionlab.org). Her research has expanded to focus on the power of positive relationships at work, job crafting (creating positive meaning at work) and positive identities. Her recent co-edited books include Exploring Positive Identities and Organizations (Routledge), Exploring Positive Relationships (Erlbaum) and she is working on co-editing two books—one on Positive Social Change (Routledge) and Generative Moments in Doing Qualitative Research (Copenhagen Business School Press). Jane’s background in strategic management keeps her focused on how positive dynamics create sustainable capabilities in organizations.
- Heaphy, E. and J. Dutton. Integrating Organizations and Physiology: Getting Started. Academy of Management Review, 33, 4, 1009-1010, 2008.bCarmeli, A., D. Brueller, and J.E. Dutton. Learning Behaviours in the Workplace: The Role of High-quality Interpersonal Relationships and Psychological Safety. Systems Research and Behavioral Science, Vol. 26, 81-98, 2009
- Heaphy, E. and J. Dutton. Positive Social Interactions and the Human Body at Work: Linking Organizations and Physiology. Academy of Management Review, Vol. 33, No. 1, 137-162, 2008.
- Dutton, J. and J. Dukerich. The Relational Foundation of Research: An Underappreciated Dimension of Interesting Research. Academy of Management Journal, 49, 1, 21-26, 2006.
- Dutton, J.E. Fostering high quality connections through respectful engagement. Stanford Social Innovation Review, Winter, 54-57, 2003.
- Quinn, R. and J. Dutton. Coordination as Energy-in-Conversation: A Process Theory of Organizing. Academy of Management Review, Vol. 30, No. 1, 38-57, 2005.
- Gersick, C., J. Bartunek and J. Dutton. Learning from Academia: The Importance of Relationships in Professional Life. Academy of Management Journal, 43, 6, 1026-1045, 2000.
Book Chapters & Research Annuals
- Stephens. J.P., E. Heaphy and J. Dutton. High Quality Connections. In K, Cameron and G. Spreitzer (eds.), Handbook of Positive Organizational Scholarship, New York: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Ragins, B. and J. Dutton. Positive Relationships at Work: An Invitation and Introduction. In J. Dutton and B. Ragins Exploring Positive Relationships at Work: Building a Theoretical and Research Foundation (Lawrence Erlabum Publishers), 2006.
- Dutton, J. and B. Ragins. Moving Forward: Positive Relationships at Work as a Research Frontier. In J. Dutton and B. Ragins Exploring Positive Relationships at Work: Building a Theoretical and Research Foundation (Lawrence Erlbaum Publishers), 2006.
- Baker, W. and J. Dutton. Enabling Positive Social Capital. In J. Dutton and B. Ragins Exploring Positive Relationships at Work: Building a Theoretical and Research Foundation (Lawrence Erlbaum Publishers), 2006.
- Dutton, J.E. and E. Heaphy. The Power of High Quality Connections. In Cameron, K., J.E. Dutton and R.E. Quinn, Positive Organizational Scholarship (San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler), 263-278, 2003.
- Williams, M. and J. Dutton. Corrosive Political Climates: The Heavy Toll of Negative Political Behavior in Organizations. In R. Quinn, R. O’Neill and L. St. Clair (Eds.) The Pressing Problems of Modern Organizations: Transforming the Agenda for Research and Practice, 2000, 3-31.
- Energize Your Workplace: How to Build and Sustain High-Quality Connections at Work. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers, 2003.
- Exploring Positive Relationships at Work: Building a Theoretical and Research Foundation. J. Dutton, B. Ragins (Eds.). Lawrence Erlbaum, Inc., 2006.