Douglas T. (Tim) Hall
Morton H. and Charlotte Friedman Professor of Management
MBA Program Faculty Director
Founding Director, Executive Development Roundtable
Questrom School of Business
Related Research Interests
- POS and careers (work with Mireia Las Heras.) This is an exploration of the ways that careers and career outcomes can exert positive influences on a person’s life.
- The role of positive relationships at work that promote the process of growth and psychological success in the career. Examples include:
- The role of cross-cultural mentoring in expatriate careers (research with Yan Shen and Aimin Yan).
- The dynamics of peer coaching and their effect on learning (research with Kathy Kram and Polly Parker
- The changing role of mentoring in a context of turbulence and diversity (writing with Kathy Kram).
- The role of positive relationships in promoting personal authenticity and pursuit of a career with a heart (research with Jina Mao, Shirli Kopelman, Elana Feldman, and Dana McDaniel).
- The role of positive relationships in the pursuit of meaning in the career (work with Elana Feldman and Najung Kim).
- The role of positive relationships at work in the process of retirement (writing with Najung Kim and proposed research with Marcy Crary, Kathy Kram, and Peter Yeager).
- Briscoe, J. P., Hall, D. T., & Mayrhofer, W. (Eds.) (2012). Careers Around the World: Individual and Contextual Perspectives. New York and London: Routledge.
- Bunker, K., Hall, D. T., Kram, K. (2010). Extraordinary Leadership: Addressing the Gaps in Senior Executive Development (pp. 370). San Francisco, CA: Wiley Jossey-Bass.
- Harrington, B., Hall, D. T. (2007). Career Management & Work-Life Integration: Using Self-Assessment to Navigate Contemporary Careers (First ed., pp. 234). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Hall, D. T. (2002). Careers In and Out of Organizations. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Hall, D. T., Las Heras, M. (2011). Personal Growth through Career Work: A Positive Approach to Careers. Chapter in K. Cameron and G. Spreitzer, Eds., The Oxford Handbook of Positive Organizational Scholarship. (pp. 507-518). Oxford: The Oxford Handbook of Positive Organizational Scholarship (Oxford Library of Psychology).
- Hall, D. T., Feldman, E., Kim, N. (in press). Meaningful work and the protean career. To appear in Bryan J. Dik, Zinta S. Byrne & Michael F. Steger (Eds). Purpose and Meaning in the Workplace. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Hall, D. T., Las Heras, M. (in press). Long live the organizational career. Rotterdam: Collin, A. & Patton, W. (Eds.) Vocational Psychological and Organisational Perspectives on Career: Towards a Multidisciplinary Dialogue. Sense Publishing.
- Las Heras, M., Hall, D. T. (2007). Integration of career and life. In D. Bilimoria & S. K. Piderit (Eds.), Handbook on Women in Business and Management. (pp. 178-205). Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar.
- Hall, D. T., Chandler, D. E. (2007). Career Cycles and Mentoring, in B. R. Ragins & K. E. Kram (Eds.), Handbook of Mentoring. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Karaevli, A., Hall, D. T. (2007). The Role of Strategic Career Development in Achieving Organization Effectiveness: A Multilevel Model. In T. Cummings (Ed.), The Handbook of Organization Development. (First ed., pp. 367-383). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage..
- Craig, E., Hall, D. T. (2006). Bringing careers back in: The changing landscape of careers in American corporations today, in James O’Toole and Edward E. Lawler (Eds.), The New American Workplace. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Weiss, J. W., Skelley, M. F., Haughey, J. C., Hall, D. T. (2004). Calling, new careers and spirituality: A reflective perspective for organizational leaders and professionals, in Spiritual intelligence at work: Meaning, metaphor, and morals. Research in Ethical Issues in OB (vol. 5, pp. 175-201). Amsterdam: Elsevier, Ltd.
- Hall, D. T. (2004). Self-awareness, identity, and leader development, in D. Day, S. Zaccaro, and S. Halpin (Eds.), Leader development for transforming organizations – Growing leaders for tomorrow. (pp. 153-170). New York: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Hall, D. T. (2002). ‘Brand You’: Building Your Protean Career, in In Allan R. Cohen (Ed.), The Portable MBA in Management. (2nd ed., pp. 214-239). New York: Wiley.
- Hall, D. T., Zhu, G., Yan, A. (2002). Career creativity as protean identity transformation. In M. Peiperl, M.B. Arthur, R. Goffee, and N. Anand (Eds.), Career Creativity: Explorations in the Remaking of Work (pp. 159-179). London: Oxford University Press.
- Hall, D. T., Zhu, G., Yan, A. (2001). Developing global leaders: To hold on to them, let them go!, in William H. Mobley and Morgan W. McCall, Jr., (Eds.), Advances in Global Leadership (vol. 2, pp. 327-349). New York: JAI Elsevier.
- Hall, D. T., Kahn, W. A. (2001). Developmental Relationships At Work: A Learning Perspective, in Cary Cooper and Ronald J. Burke (Eds.), The New World of Work. London: Blackwell
- Kram, K., Hall, D. T. (1996). Mentoring In a Context of Diversity and Turbulence. in Kossek and S. Lobel (eds.) Management Diversity: Human Resource Strategies for Transforming Organizations (pp. 108-136). Blackwell Publishers.
- Lee, M. D., Kossek, E. E., Hall, D. T., Litrico, J.-B. (2011). Entangled strands: A process perspective on the evolution of careers in the context of personal, family, work, and community life. Human Relations, 64(12), 1531-1553.
- Kopelman, S., Feldman, E. R., McDaniel, D. M., Hall, D. T.,(In Press). Mindfully negotiating a career with a heart. Organizational Dynamics.
- Hall, D. T., Lee, M. D., Kossek, E. E., & Las Heras, M. (In Press). Pursuing career success while sustaining personal and family well being: A study of reduced-load professionals over T.e. To appear in Journal of Social Issues.
- Chandler, D. E., Hall, D. T., Kram, K. E. (2010). A Developmental Network & Relational Savvy Approach to Talent Development: A Low-Cost Alternative. Organizational Dynamics, 39(1), 48-56.
- Hall, D. T., Las Heras, M. (2010). Reintegrating job design and career theory: Creating not just good jobs but smart jobs. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 31, 448-462.
- Zikic, J., Hall, D. T. (2010). Toward a more complex view of career exploration. Career Development Quarterly, 58(2), 181-191.
- Chudzikowski, K., Demel, B., Mayrhofer, W., Briscoe, J. P., Unite, J., Milikic, B. B., Hall, D. T., Las Heras, M., Shen, Y., Zikic, J. (2009). Career transitions and their causes: A country-comparative perspective. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 82, 825-849.
- Yan, S., Hall, D. T. (2009). When expatriates explore other options: Retaining talent through greater job embeddedness and repatriation adjustment. Human Resource Management, 48(5), 793-816.
- Chandler, D. E., Hall, D. T., Kram, K. (2009). “How to be a smart protege”. Sloan Management Review/Wall StreetJournal Business Insight, 2009 (August).
- Parker, P., Hall, D. T., Kram, K. (2008). “Peer Coaching and Accelerated Career Development”. Academy of Management Learning and Education, 7(4), 487-503.
- Shen, Y., Hall, D. T. (in press). When expatriates explore other options: Retaining talent through greater job embeddedness and repatriation adjustment. To appear in Human Resource Management.
- O’Connell, D. J., McNeely, E., Hall, D. T. (2008). Unpacking personal adaptability at work. Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, 14(3), 248-259.
- Hall, D. T. (2008). “Reflections on calling and careers in community psychology.” Journal of Prevention & Intervention in the Community, 35(1), 107-112.
- Lips-Wiersma, M., Hall, D. T. (2007). Organizational career development is not dead: A case study on managing the new career during organizational change. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 28, 771-792.
- McArdle, S., Waters, L., Briscoe, J. P., Hall, D. T. (2007). S. McArdle, L. Waters, J. P. Briscoe, and D. T. Hall (2007). Employability during Unemployment: Adaptability, career identity and human and social capital Corresponding. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 71, 247-264. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 71(2), 247-264.
- Hall, D. T., Backman, P., Crary, M., Nevis, E. C., Nevis, S. M., Wheeler, J. (2006). Making life and career choices in the third phase of life. Career Planning and Adult Development Journal, 21(1), 66-75.
- Hall, D. T. (2004). The protean career: A quarter-century journey. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 65(1), 1-13.
- McCarthy, J. F., O’Connell, D. J., Hall, D. T. (2005). Leading Beyond Tragedy: The balance of personal identity and adaptability. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 26(6), 458-475.