Associate Professor of Management
Related Research Interests
My work focuses on two areas relevant to the POS community – mentoring/developmental networks and the work-life interface. I am interested in the initiation and cultivation of nontraditional developmental relationships (ementoring, reverse mentoring, networks/circles) as well as how social media can facilitate these relationships. In addition, I am interested in how positive relationships across the work-life interface facilitate career success. In particular, my research has explored the benefits of social support from both work and non-work relationships for women’s careers.
- Murphy, W.M. & Kram, K.E. 2014. Strategic Relationships at Work: Creating your Circle of Mentors, Sponsors, and Peers for Success in Business and Life. New York: McGraw-Hill. ISBN-13: 978-0071823470.
- Chandler, D.E. & Murphy, W.M. Forthcoming. Propelling Diverse Leaders to the Top: A Developmental Network Approach. Human Resource Management.
- Murphy, W.M., Gibson, K., & Kram, K.E. 2017. Advancing Women through Developmental Relationships. In S.R. Madsen (Ed.). Handbook of Research on Gender and Leadership, Chapter 23. London: Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN-13: 978-1785363856.
- Chandler, D.E., Murphy, W.M., Kram, K.E., & Higgins, M.C. 2016. Bridging formal and informal mentoring: A developmental network perspective. In K. Peno, E.S. Mangiante, & R. Kenahan (Eds.). Mentoring in Formal and Informal Contexts. New York: Information Age Publishing, pp.1-22. ISBN-13: 978-1681234610.
- Murphy, W.M. 2012. Reverse mentoring at work: Fostering cross-generational learning and developing Millennial leaders. Human Resource Management, 51(4): 549-574.
- Gordon, J.R., Pruchno, R., Wilson-Genderson, M., Murphy, W.M., & Rose, M. 2012. Balancing caregiving and work: Role conflict and role strain dynamics. Journal of Family Issues, 33(5): 662-689.
- Dobrow, S., Chandler, D.E., Murphy, W.M., & Kram, K.E. 2012. A review of developmental networks: Incorporating a mutuality perspective. Journal of Management, 38(1): 210-242.
- Murphy, W.M. 2011. From e-mentoring to blended mentoring: Increasing students’ developmental initiation and mentors’ satisfaction. Academy of Management Learning and Education, 10(4): 606-622.
- Volpe, E.H. & Murphy, W.M. 2011. Married professional women’s career exit: Integrating identity and social networks. Gender in Management: An International Journal, 26(1): 57-83.
- Murphy, W.M. & Kram, K.E. 2010. Understanding non-work relationships in developmental networks. Career Development International, 15(7): 637-663.